[c-nsp] Sub-int based EoMPLS on a 6700 series LC in a 7600

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Mar 16 22:46:05 EDT 2009

I have a TAC case open right now regarding a new EoMPLS VC I'm trying to
turn up.  This is the first I tried to terminate in a sub-int on one of
my 7600s.  The LC is a 6748 w/ DFC.  The sup is a 720-3BXL running SRB1.
  The other end is a ME3750 running 12.2(50)SE.  The ME's end is a 1Q
trunk facing the CE.  The native VLAN is for Internet back to a SVI.
The other VLAN allowed on the trunk (tagged) has a corresponding SVI
with the xconnect to the loopback on that particular 7613.  The 7613 has
a 1Q trunk facing the CE as well.  The port is configured with a sub-int
though and the xconnect sits in the sub-int with 1Q encapsulation
(tagged).  The VLAN IDs are the same on both ends.  MTU is the same on
both ends and is the default 1500; I'm thinking that I need to raise
this for one thing, to support the 1Q trunk over EoMPLS.  Or does MPLS
auto-adjust for the higher MTU?

The VC is up end to end.  I can do a MPLS ping from end to end.  When I
try to ping from the CE on the ME3750's end 2811 (with Fa0/0 configured
with sub-ints and a 1Q config matching the ME) I get nothing back and no
ARP entry on the 3560E.  I do however see counters on the VC increment
end to end.  When I try to ping from the CE on the 7613's end (a 3560E
with a trunk configured for the 1 EoMPLS VLAN and its L3 interface in a
SVI) to the 2811 I get nothing back but the 2811 gets a matching ARP
entry for the 3560E.  The counters on the VC do not increment either
like they should (ping with a timeout of 0 repeating 10k times).  That's
the exact opposite of what I would expect.

One question that was raised is if the core-facing interface had to be
fancy WAN interfaces.  My understanding is that they do not because I
don't have to double-tag anything.  The core-facing interface is on the
same 6748.  For grins I moved the CE-facing interface to a 6724 w/ DFC
in the same chassis.  No change.  The VC is up but I only get an ARP on
the 2811 and nothing back.  From the perspective of the CEs traffic only
flows from the 3560E to the 2811.  From the perspective of the VC's
counters it's just the opposite.

The 7613 connects to a ME6524 (MTU 9000 on a L3 sub-int on both ends)
and that ME6524 connect to the ME3750 (also a L3 interface with a MTU of
9000).  MPLS is enabled end to end.  I get the targeted LDP on both ends
of course.  IS-IS L2 is my IGP.

Do I have to have WAN ints for the core-facing links?  I'm thinking no
but I can't say for certain.  Neither could my TAC engineer but they are
double checking.  Anyone know?

Thanks
  Justin