[c-nsp] ASR - modular image

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Mar 25 04:22:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're considering getting some ASR (1004 and 1006) as peering routers.
> I would like to know what sort of experience you had with them.
> What are the advantages of running the 'modular' IOS XE? We tried the
> 'modular' software on 6500 and we ran into some issues that we didn't
> have on the integrated one.
> Should we expect something similar from the ASR platform?

Dear Pshem,
 	We started to use ASR 1002 for WAN aggregation a while ago. We did
not have much experience with it, but I share what we have:

- We started to use 'monolithic' IOS XE, but recently upgraded to 'modular'
version. We expecting that IOS XE rebuilds, similar to 12.2(x)Tn, where n
is the rebuild number,  does not require full reload of the router. We
could not prove this yet, since not much rebuild exists for IOS XE. The
full reload takes considerable more time than on 7200 or 7600.

- We wanted to implement QoS on virtual interface templates as we did on
7200. This not supported yet.

- We wanted to implement IPv6 on PPPoE with this device. however Cisco
claims the ASR 1000 series has IPv6 support, the IPv6 support exists only
for bridged mode broadband solution. Development of few hundred lines of
code is postponed  recently :(

- The device has more horse-power and potential capabilities than 7200
with any NPE. It survived several DoS attacks, while 7200 died.

For summary, the ASR100 platform for WAN aggregation is quite ready yet,
potentially it will be good in a year time.

Best Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi