[c-nsp] BGP session resets if NLRI exchanged

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove at heanet.ie
Wed Mar 25 11:54:33 EDT 2009

We are attempting to establish a new BGP session between one of our
CRS-1 routers, and a Redback SE800 router owned by another provider.  Am
not familiar with Redbacks myself and we have not peered with any before
(as far as we know anyway).  The BGP session only remains up if no NLRI
is exchanged.  If the other provider sends any prefixes to us we reply
with a "invalid length for attribute" notification; if we send any
prefixes to them they reply with  "invalid or corrupt AS path".

The other provider uses VPNv4 within their network, though I understand
that it is not configured on this peering.  I'm wondering whether these
errors could result if their router expects a RD (and sends one) on the
advertisements, perhaps due to a software bug or typo in the config.

Perhaps someone has seen this problem before?

Paul.