[c-nsp] network management

harbor235 harbor235 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:51:06 EDT 2009

I am looking to gather information on what metrics NOCs collect for a tier 2
, tier 3 personnel for WAN status and performance monitoring.

I feel the following are useful, any additional info on beneficial metrics
will be helpful.

Interface/Node availability
latency/jitter on major network paths as well as other requested links
(define threshholds for nominal, impacted, severly impacted)
overall WAN availbility
network path availability
interface utilizations (thresholds defined)
top sources (netflow,sflow)
top As        (netflow,sflow)
top talkers   (netflow,sflow)
packet loss (how is packet loss done, is it done from a probing perspective
or collecting interace stats?)

Just off the top of my head, i am looking to quantify/identify a well
perfroming network as well a problem network.

mike