[c-nsp] Multilink PPPoA

Steven Saner ssaner at pantheranet.com
Tue Mar 31 16:05:41 EDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> I actually just set this up on the weekend.  You can use virtual-
> template 1 ip unnumbered with an ip pool on the headend and dialer0
> ip address negotiated on the client too if you don't want statically
> routed clients.

Thanks to a couple offline replies, I got this working. I'm replying
with my working config for the benefit of anyone searching the
archives and in case anyone has any comments on something that could
be done different/better. Thanks for the help.

On the 7206 all I needed to do was add a Virtual-Template interface
for the multilink and point the relevant pvcs to it:

interface Virtual-Template3
  ip unnumbered Loopback0
  ppp authentication pap dsl
  ppp authorization dsl
  ppp multilink

The only line different than my "normal" template is the "ppp
multilink" line. The reference to "dsl" is the name of the radius
profile that I'm using.

interface ATM2/0.1000 multipoint
  pvc 3/70
   encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template3

  pvc 3/177
   encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template3

On the client side (1721) I have the following:

interface Virtual-Template1
  ip address negotiated
  ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxx password xxxxxxxx
  ppp multilink

The two ATM interfaces look like the following

interface ATM0
  no ip address
  no atm ilmi-keepalive
  dsl operating-mode auto
  dsl enable-training-log
  pvc 0/35
   encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1

That's it. I needed no Dialer interface. The two links come up, get
bound and stay up. Is there any particular reason why a Dialer
interface would be better or advisable?

Also the 1721 is running 12.3 mainline with ADSL WIC support and the
7206 is running 12.4 mainline.

Steve

Steven Saner
steve at saner.net