[c-nsp] Out of Band Network

Mike Louis MLouis at nwnit.com
Mon May 4 17:55:24 EDT 2009

Hey Folks,

I am building an out of band network and was wondering what everyones experience was with the following products. I am planning on using an 1841 configured as terminal server in each closet with 1-2 HWIC-8A slots in each router depending on the number of lines that I need for the devices in that closet. I am going to be linking them all 1841s in each closet together with 8 port 2960s or reused 2950 series switches coresident. These 2960/2950s will all be home runned over fiber back to a core for the out of band network.  Some of the closets in the design are uplinked into distribution layer closets over Cat5e cable. Nothing exceeds 300 ft, however, I am not sure how far I can stretch these Async lines to the console ports from the distribution to access layer switches. Does anyone know how far I can go with an RS-232 line over Cat5e? All I need is 9600 baud to talk to the console port at the other end.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Note: This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, legally privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the original sender immediately by telephone or return email and destroy or delete this message along with any attachments immediately.