[c-nsp] Out of Band Network

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Mon May 4 18:17:23 EDT 2009

<snip>
Some of the closets in the design are uplinked into distribution layer
closets over Cat5e cable. Nothing exceeds 300 ft, however, I am not sure
how far I can stretch these Async lines to the console ports from the
distribution to access layer switches. Does anyone know how far I can go
with an RS-232 line over Cat5e? All I need is 9600 baud to talk to the
console port at the other end.

</snip>

You might be able to do it with hi-grade cable and if the Cisco ports
are following the spec.  Here's a pretty good tutorial.

http://marcspages.co.uk/tech/long232.htm

Regards,

Mike