[c-nsp] Out of Band Network

tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com
Tue May 5 10:28:09 EDT 2009

Mike
Have you looked at the Raritan Dominion SX devices
(http://www.raritan.com/products/serial-console-switches/Dominion-SX/) .
Maybe they could workout for you better.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Seth Mattinen
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 5:35 PM
To: cisco-nsp
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Out of Band Network

Mike Louis wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I am building an out of band network and was wondering what everyones
experience was with the following products. I am planning on using an
1841 configured as terminal server in each closet with 1-2 HWIC-8A slots
in each router depending on the number of lines that I need for the
devices in that closet. I am going to be linking them all 1841s in each
closet together with 8 port 2960s or reused 2950 series switches
coresident. These 2960/2950s will all be home runned over fiber back to
a core for the out of band network.  Some of the closets in the design
are uplinked into distribution layer closets over Cat5e cable. Nothing
exceeds 300 ft, however, I am not sure how far I can stretch these Async
lines to the console ports from the distribution to access layer
switches. Does anyone know how far I can go with an RS-232 line over
Cat5e? All I need is 9600 baud to talk to the console port at the other
end.

You could also pick up a pair of RS422 converters. The downside is
additional cost, however, it could be a wash if you end up needing
expensive cable to do long 232 runs.

~Seth