[c-nsp] SUP720 IDB Limit

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Fri May 8 15:17:26 EDT 2009

Stephen Kratzer wrote:
> On Friday 08 May 2009 14:17:58 Adam Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Stephen Kratzer wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> We're looking to step up from the 7200 series to the 7600 series for DSL
>>> aggregation. Anyone know what the IDB limit is for this platform (#show
>>> idb)? We're at about 15000. Thanks.
>>>
>> Isn't the 7600 a particularly bad choice for this job?
>>
>> Wouldn't an ASR1K be better?
>>
>> adam.
>>

> The ASR is certainly a better choice, but cost is an overriding factor. What
> in particular makes the 7600 a poor choice aside from the existence of better
> alternatives? Thanks.

Because it's essentially a large switch with an ASIC shoved up its arse?
(run by a BU who seem to hate switches with ASICs.)

I'm assuming that the PFC isn't particularly adept at bRAS functionality?

I've never tried it, of course. Cisco historically liked to pimp the ESR
for this job, though that was always ridiculously priced, IMO, for the
job it did. I always tended to just use 7301/7201s, but recently have
started to move towards the ASR.

adam.