[c-nsp] IP transit Price in US

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri May 8 15:25:53 EDT 2009

Kim , Jongwon wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> It is somewhat away from the topic , but I need your help.
>

> I'd like to know current IP Transit service price in US.

It can vary wildly depending on where you are in the country and who
you're buying from. In a quest to move my facility this year, I've
received T3 and Ethernet over SONET quotes anywhere from $6000/mo to
$2000/mo, all from "tier 1" providers. But in general, lit buildings and
colo facilities are always cheaper. Then there's outliers like Cogent
who are always really, really cheap with their on-net pricing.

> Is Tier1 price cheaper than Tier2  or vice versa?

A tier 2 is typically an ISP buying from a tier 1, although this can be
argued to death. Tier 2 is typically cheaper, but sometimes you pay more
than a lower price. I learned the hard way years ago that nobody but the
big players (Sprint, Verizon, SAVVIS, etc.) knew how to run a proper
network in my area. All of the locals (and one CLEC who was acquired by
a company who admitted they didn't have any BGP customers before) are
BGP retarded, can't really provide high capacity service, or think
making service-impacting changes without notice is acceptable.

~Seth