[c-nsp] Certification Ethics

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Mon May 11 20:52:34 EDT 2009

Keep in mind that the value of the CCIE isn't that you can recall an
infinite number of facts about bits, bytes, headers, protocol states,
protocol errors, protocol election rules, model numbers, product
specifications, and router commands, and the output of every router
command... at any given moment without context or warning.   If you came
up to me in the middle of the day out of nowhere and asked "Whats the
difference between PIMv1 and PIMv2 DR election?"  I would have to stop
and think.  I would probably tell you to go look it up.  Because that is
what I do when I don't know or can't remember.

Its not about how much useless information you can cram into your head.
Its how you apply the facts once you have them.  These facts by
themselves are useless without a problem you can apply them too.  You
would be a bad engineer if you didn't verify anyway that it works the
way you expect it too...  Which means I would likely say "I'm not sure,
lets look it up."

I re-memorize what I need to know to recert every 21 months.  In between
those times, if I don't touch IPv6, then I probably will forget it very
fast.  I'm busy.  I have other things to remember and think about.

So hearing you say that some CCIE, or multiple CCIEs, didn't remember
fact "x" and therefore you call into question the value of the CCIE as a
certification... I guess that demonstrates how badly you are missing the
point.

Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672