[c-nsp] Certification Ethics

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue May 12 02:28:24 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 19:52 -0500, Derick Winkworth wrote:
> So hearing you say that some CCIE, or multiple CCIEs, didn't remember
> fact "x" and therefore you call into question the value of the CCIE as a
> certification... I guess that demonstrates how badly you are missing the
> point.

I think you missed my point. The specific example given was something he
was tasked with and couldn't get to work. His excuse was that someone
else didn't do what they should. The problem was that MED was not the
right tool.

I didn't say _all_ CCIEs are wrong. And I don't expect everyone to
remember everything always. I do expect though that if I ask you about
how to control traffic flow across several independent ASs you don't
answer "MED" and stay with that answer even though others point out that
it won't work. I do expect a CCIE having chosen a specific setup to be
able to explain what choices he made and why, e.g. the general
differences between SRA and SRB instead of saying "You'er welcome to
read the release notes.", especially when being paid to do so.

I have also met CCIEs that I'm very impressed with, and many CCIEs I've
seen explain things have been way beyond what I understand. I'm just
saying that some CCIEs are good at networking and others are good at
taking exams

> Derick Winkworth
> CCIE #15672

I'm sorry if you feel insulted. So I will repeat: _Most_ CCIEs are
probably competent. I know for a fact that several aren't.

Regards,
Peter