[c-nsp] Some advice on switches....

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Wed May 13 15:52:34 EDT 2009

You might want to look at 4500 Series switches, rather than 6500.
If 2960's were sufficient for your requirements (no advanced routing,
Netflow, NBAR, etc) then 4500 is closer to an apples-to-apples
comparison than 6500.
4500 will generally be cheaper than 6500, especially when taking
maintenance/Smartnet into account (though YMMV).
The other upside to chassis based is that if the day ever comes you
want to move your 10/100 ports up to 10/100/1000, it'll probably be
cheaper/easier to swap blades than to buy all new stackables.

Also, if you decide to stick with the 2960's, my two cents would be
just buy 6 x 48 Port, instead of 2 x 24 and 4 x 48.
Where possible, it's nice to work on a single model.  You can purchase
a single spare which would swap in for any failed unit.  You can work
off a simpler standard config template.  You only have to become
intimately familiar with one hardware platform (though obviously
2960-24 would be pretty similar to 2960-48).  It just helps to
simplify things, making your "building blocks" more interchangeable
and uniform.  Also leaves room to expand or test or "hot cut" existing
connections.

-Geoff