[c-nsp] BGP Config

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue May 19 13:57:58 EDT 2009

Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
> I absolutely agree with Charles ... although not on the "provider will give
> you the necessary details" part. I've seen some service providers that were
> somewhat inadequate in that respect (trying to be diplomatic :).

Yes. That's quite true unfortunately. :(

> You might find some of the links/videos on my BGP resource center useful:
>
> http://wiki.nil.com/BGP

Ah yes. Excellent work your doing Ivan! Great blog and wiki. :)

> The next starting point is Cisco's BGP page:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/tsd_technology_support_sub-protoc
> ol_home.html

Yep. Read up on Ivans page for theory/explanations etc, and then utilize
the extensive reference documentation that cisco makes available.

They have always been very good at reference material, but seem to rely
on 3rd parties to create tutorial/overview material.... either that or
attend the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE courses. Navigating the docs is still
something of an art form though. Cisco has 20 some years of history and
an incredibly broad product matrix (and I thought Microsoft licensing
was difficult!) So lists like c-nsp exist for when the finer parts of
the art need to be discussed and reviewed.

In ciscos defense, it seems they have been  creating more and more
tutorial/design material recently, and making it freely available via
their website. Things like the chalk talks
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5707/ps8418/ps6128/prod_presentation0900aecd80549168.html

There are a wide variety of knobs that can be turned, and incorrect
operation of a router that participates in BGP exchange can result in
very nasty problems. (
http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2008/02/internet-routing-insecuritypakistan-nukes-youtube/
http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/02/pakistan-hijacks-youtube-1.shtml
)