[c-nsp] IP Tunneling Question

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 19:22:00 EDT 2009

Given that you're probably not too worried about the traffic being secured, I'd go with GRE for a number of reasons:

1. Less overhead
2. Been around for ages, good support for it
3. Multi vendor support
4. Fairly standard and easy to understand
5. Easy to configure

Unless the packets are coming from a source really close to you there's a good chance they will already be fragmented to a smallish size (smaller than 1500 ethernet anyway), so you shouldn't have too many issues with fragmentation.

regards,
Tony.