[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:55:27 EDT 2009

We experienced the same problem on a number of 6748 blades, and requested
failure analysis from Cisco (report below).

We were performing a chassis swap, and the heatsink/fin/whatever literally
fell off upon card removal, which led to the discovery of the faulty bracket
on multiple cards -- but not all cards.

Here's the failure analysis report:

*FA case Number: FA-0063752

Fault Isolated

The customer reported that the line cards had faulty Heatsink latches.  The
customer's symptom was duplicated.  The line cards failed visual inspection.

The line card with serial number <<REMOVED>> had a Z1 latch became detached.

The Z1 came off and caused the heatsink to become loose. No damage was done
to the baseboard.  The line card with serial number <<REMOVED>> had both Z1
and Z2 missing.  The latches were not on the card, which caused the Heatsink
to move around. Only some minor scratches were observed on the baseboard.

This case was closed as fault isolated due to the detached latches on the
boards. MM/CG*

-- Eric Cables