[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Fri May 29 13:26:44 EDT 2009

> I'm trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or just a fluke.

I have had it occur on a couple of (older) 67xx cards.  Looking
at the board, it appeared that the solder joint holding the
loop had the classic appearance of a cold solder joint (it
looked brittle and crystallized).

I have this vague suspicion (and it is only a suspicion)
that the combination of the large hole and the large
wire (as opposed to a SMT device) requires more heat/time
than the soldering equipment is/was providing.(*)

I have not seen any recent version cards with the
problem, so I presumed that the manufacturing defect
was corrected at some point (turned up the heat?)

Gary

(*) I have a further suspicion that the conversion
    to ROHS compliant solder could have had an
    impact on this issue.  Lead-free solder usually
    requires higher temperatures for proper bonding
    (depends on the particular solder).