[c-nsp] MPLS

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Sat May 30 12:12:02 EDT 2009

Absolutely agree with Bruce. For your particular setup, it would be best to
use two pseudowires (A-B and B-C) and run your own routing protocol over
them. This would (worst case, try to avoid) also allow you to transport
non-IP LAN data between sites (I don't know what DS8100 can do). However,
keep in mind that VPWS or VPLS are not 100% reliable (you might experience
packet drops, jitter or congestion), so check what's acceptable with your
SAN vendor.

As for security: don't rely on the "MPLS/VPN is secure" pamphlets published
by vendors and "independent" labs. MPLS VPN is undoubtedly infinitely better
than public Internet, but if you need true security, use IPSEC. More details
here:

http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/04/true-or-false-mpls-vpns-offer.html

Hope this helps
Ivan