[c-nsp] Cisco 15454 question

Matt Addison maddison at lightbound.net
Fri Nov 6 11:51:58 EST 2009

What's the dB loss of the fiber (@1310 and 1550) between the 2
buildings?

The DS1 cards are a waste of a VT matrix port, just get additional XM6
capacity if necessary and use an external mux like an Adtran MX2800.

You'll also need the EIA cards that go on the back of the shelf (either
a 15454-EIA-1BNCA24= or a 15454-EIA-1BNCB24=)- by default the 15454 has
no actual physical connectors.

If you want to transport DS3s, I'd recommend also getting a
15454-DS3-12= card since those ports are _much_ cheaper than XM6 ports.

Do you actually need to do transmux DS3s? XM6 is only really _needed_
when you want to do cross connects at a DS1 level, if you just need to
transport DS1s between the 2 buildings without needing to switch them to
different timeslots, you could get by with MX2800s hanging off the
DS3-12 cards (you'd just build a DS3 between the DS3-12s on either end,
also if you don't need to do cross connects at the DS1 level you could
get away with XC cards instead of XCVTs- however if you need to take
circuits in from carriers on OC3/channelized DS3 you'd still need XCVT
and XM6 cards).

~Matt