[c-nsp] Cisco 15454 question

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Nov 6 11:37:33 EST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I am hoping to gain some insight from some of the people who have done
> this type of thing before. I am setting up a 24 strand fiber
connection
> between two facilities. I will be doing GigE on 4 strands and placing
> the
> Cisco 15454 with OC48 cards on 4 strands of fibers.
>
> What I need to do is be able to cross connects circuits at the DS1,
DS3
> and OCn level between the two facilities. Below are the cards that I
> have
> spec'd for this. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything? Assume
> that
> there are protect cards for each and I know I do not have any OC3/OC12
> cards for the OCn cross connects(We would add these later). I also
know
> that I need the correct backplane cards for DS1 and DS3 handoff.
>
> 15454-OC48IR1310 1310nm OC48 cards
>
> 15454-DS3XM-6 6 port DS3 transmux cards
>
> 15454-DS1N-14 14 port DS1 cards
>
> 15454-TCC+ Timing and control cards
>
> 15454-XC-TV Cross connect cards
>
> 15454-FTA3
>
> Any input on what I am missing or if there are better cards to use
> would
> be great.

You will need GigE cards.  It appears you're going for old (read,
EOS/EOL) equipment, so you will most likely be looking at the E1000-2
cards.  Also, you won't be running the GigE specifically across fibers.
Instead, you will carry the GigE circuits within your backbone OC-48's
as an OC-24 (actually concatenated OC-12's).  So, you will need to think
about the number of OC-48 cards you need to do this.

Regards,

Mike