[c-nsp] IOS retraction?

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Nov 6 15:05:13 EST 2009

In chasing my notes and upgrade schedules to respond to the last
vulnerabilities announcement (September?), had a list of then-running
platforms and IOS, along with the recommended/forthcoming release
numbers containing the fix.  I've been collecting images and working my
way down the list of priorities since then.

Included on my list were some 3550s (we route a number of 3550-12Gs)
running various 12.2SE versions.

The original security announcement listed the "recommended" fix as
12.2(50)SE3, or 12.2(52)SE; Available on 13-OCT-2009.

At the time (or shortly afterward) I did indeed grab a
c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-50.SE3.tar (it's in my boot library).

This weekend was the first opportunity to hit the 3550s, so I
double-checked TAC to see if the 12.2(52) was there (being somewhat brave).

Today, the most recent listing for all 3550s is
c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE6.tar.

Say what??

If you track all the 3550 models down, this version only shows up for
the 3550-24-DC switch (?).

Is this some Marketing flip (on the EOL train) for the other 3550s, or
was the 122-50/122-52 series actually "recalled" from these platforms?

Anyone else get ahead of the curve and running 12.2(50) or (52) on a
3550 successfully?  Gotten a recall notice yet?  :-)

Very confused,

Jeff