[c-nsp] Relationship between RAM and routes

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Nov 7 02:34:23 EST 2009

On Thursday 05 November 2009 02:12:56 pm Eric Magutu wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the relationship between RAM and routes?

Well, the more routing entries you have, the more memory you
need to hold them.

This is truer for dynamic routing protocols than the
opposite, as routing entries learned dynamically carry
additional attributes along with them and all sorts of
goodies that need to make friends with RAM + CPU :-).

That said...

> I want
> to implement 1000 static routes in a cisco 7206vxr (NPE
> -G1) and needed to find out what effect it would have on
> my router. Should I do any upgrades? it has
> 229376K/32768K bytes of memory 509K of NVRAM

1,000 static routing entries should not be a problem for the
platform to handle. I'd be more worried about your energy
levels and the amount of NVRAM at your disposal (although
there are other options you can consider to manage a larger
active configuration).

Cheers,

Mark.