[c-nsp] 3750G vs. Nexus for a SAN

Michael Balasko Michael.Balasko at cityofhenderson.com
Mon Nov 9 12:56:07 EST 2009

I too can vouch for the 5K's not being ready for prime time.
Here is a short list of the "advanced" features we are trying to use-
 -Disable the HTTP/HTTPS server onboard
 -NTP Authentication
 -ACL's for SNMP access
 -VTY ACL's
 -VTP passthrough - VTP packets WILL NOT pass through this switch.
Please save the VTY argument is bad for someone else.

As far as the Cisco litmus test of "it forwards packets so it's working
as designed" it operates fine, but until the above mention issues are
fixed, we can't in good conscience roll them into production to find the
real bugs.

We have piles of TAC cases open for this and we have screamed loud
enough to be in direct contact with the 5K business unit product
manager. The official answer is hurry up and wait. In order to fix these
Cisco bugs we bought a pair of Brocade Turboiron 24's which are now our
only non-Cisco piece of kit out of over 400 devices.

All that being said we bought the 5K's to do 10G distribution for our
core so your mileage may vary depending on needs.
If it were done again right this second, I'd look at Arista Networks. We
demo'd their gear way back and was impressed with the support folks and
the willingness to respond to issues by cutting code instead of
providing a workaround of "none" or "don't use that feature".
They couldn't do RPVST+ at the time and that's why we looked elsewhere.
They say to do it today and based on some of the folks I know work there
I'm inclined to believe them.

Mike