[c-nsp] 3750G vs. Nexus for a SAN

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Nov 10 09:47:40 EST 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 01:56:07 am Michael Balasko
wrote:

> All that being said we bought the 5K's to do 10G
> distribution for our core so your mileage may vary
> depending on needs.

To digress a little, we considered using the Nexus 5000 as a
10Gbps core aggregation switch, because it's way cheaper
than the WS-X6704/8 line cards.

But given that we'd be looking at adding more bandwidth in
terms of N x 10Gbps, it made more sense to consider boxes
that will scale to native 40Gbps and 100Gbps Ethernet
interfaces.

But, if a network is sure they'll never need anymore 10Gbps
port density or large bandwidth to serve several
downstream/upstream routers, the Nexus 5000 is definitely
good value for 10Gbps Ethernet aggregation, current software
issues aside, of course.

Cheers,

Mark.