[c-nsp] vlan across a routed link

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 10:36:25 EST 2009

masood at nexlinx.net.pk wrote:
> what’s wrong in extending your spanning-tree domain, as long as numbers of
> nodes are not too many? People are using trunk links between different
> sites across the world in an enterprise environment,  and this is for what
> you use a trunk link. I would prefer the usage of trunk links and routed
> VLAN interfaces over EoMPLS and VPLS. (keeping in mind the throughput
> issues on EoMPLS, mtu problems and overall network complexity)

Well, I think it depends on your existing setup and requirements.

The original poster states that they currently have *no* vlans between
sites; therefore any move to do this is a new service, with all the
learning experiences and issues associated.

The OP also says they're using VTP.

I agree with Oli: It makes sense to avoid this if possible. But it's a
matter of personal opinion.