[c-nsp] vlan across a routed link

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 18 21:54:46 EST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 11:10:22 pm
masood at nexlinx.net.pk wrote:

> what’s wrong in extending your spanning-tree domain, as
> long as numbers of nodes are not too many?

You can't know that the number of nodes or VLAN's won't
grow. And chances are, they will.

> People are
> using trunk links between different sites across the
> world in an enterprise environment,  and this is for what
> you use a trunk link.

Fair point.

Digressing a little from the OP's post, control planes for
Ethernet in the LAN (and small WAN) have different
characteristics from various points of view when considered
for large scale, probably Metro deployments.

> I would prefer the usage of trunk
> links and routed VLAN interfaces over EoMPLS and VPLS.

YMMV, but the performance of IP and EoMPLS shouldn't be that
different since it's all done in hardware. VPLS is a little
more complex by its nature.

> (keeping in mind the throughput issues on EoMPLS, mtu
> problems and overall network complexity)

I'm not sure increased MTU requirements makes a network any
more complex. Besides, in a campus LAN/WAN with your own
fibre, you can control the MTU on each of the links, which
is great.

Cheers,

Mark.