[c-nsp] Router advice

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Nov 18 15:22:54 EST 2009

Ed W wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been out of the market on the latest Cisco routers for a while and I'm
> looking for some info about a router to use in a small co-located
> environment.
>
> Basic requirements:
> 2 Copper FastE/GigE
> 50-75 Mbps throughput
> HSRP
> NetFlow
> Basic ACLs/null routing for Bogons, etc.
> No dynamic routing
> No NAT/PAT
>
> Preferably 1U
> More than 2 FE interfaces, IPv6 support and room to grow into a BGP session
> or two would be nice, but not required.
> Traffic will be mostly HTTP/HTTPS, Mail (IMAP, POP, SMTP) and some VOIP
> channels mixed in (G711 & G729)
>
> My first thought after some research was a 2800 series, but NetFlow seems
> like a possible red flag.

The 2800's support netflow just fine, but you won't get that kind of
performance out of a 2811 (fastest 1U), nor anything else in the 2800
line over a handful of single large packet flows. 3845 *maybe* depending
on features, but it's 3U. If you need 1U then go for a 7201 which is
basically a 1U 7200VXR NPE-G2.

~Seth