[c-nsp] New feature, can't find it documented - NTP using DNS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Nov 23 15:36:58 EST 2009

On Nov 23, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Justin Shore wrote:

> I noticed other changes between 24T1 and 24T2 that bit me this weekend when I upgraded 2 routers that are my NTP servers.  First off all the NTP config that was moved way up in the config in an earlier release suddenly got moved back to where it was.  Not a big deal but it makes RANCID unhappy.  Second, and this is a bad problem, it removed my "ntp source <int>" command from the config.  I didn't notice until today that my NTP servers weren't syncing up right.  Reviewing the RANCID diff pointed out the problem.
>
> This happened on both of the routers that I upgraded from 24T1 to 24T2.  I haven't rebooted either router to see if the problem will happen after every 24T2 reboot or if it's tied to the moving around of the config between 24T1 and 24T2.  My guess would be the latter, at least I hope that's the case.  I've contacted TAC to report this bug.

Cisco does not have a coherent config order that will be output.

This is something people need to continue to repeat to Cisco that this stuff actually matters.  The folks that do testing of software rarely perform anything from a non-console connection.  This has implications on the ability for them to watch and control this.  People don't understand that moving lines of code have real-world implication on diff based utilities used to manage routers.

 *sigh*

- Jared