[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

loui leaky spank_daddy at live.com
Mon Nov 23 16:20:17 EST 2009

I am building out a new datacenter. The edge is going to consist of 2 routers. Each device has a 10G interface connected to a different provider with a 1-2G commit. I think comparing price and throughput, I be better off using 7606/RSP720-3CXL/WS-X6708-10GE vs ASR1004 with 10G-SRs(that cisco rep promises will be supported in code rev before end of year). For some reason Cisco guys seems to be pushing the ASR. I'd love to go with it to learn something new but 1004 is limited to 20GB throughput while the 7606 should be able to handle in the hundreds if we should ever need it.

I read through the archives of the list and people have some strong opinions against the 7606, especially regarding netflow exports, but maybe that was related to SUP720 issues. I don not plan to offer and services at the edge of my network.

Can anyone offer some opinions based on their experience?

Thanks,
Joel