[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Nov 23 19:58:27 EST 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 05:20:17 am loui leaky wrote:

> I read through the archives of the list and people have
>  some strong opinions against the 7606, especially
>  regarding netflow exports, but maybe that was related to
>  SUP720 issues. I don not plan to offer and services at
>  the edge of my network.

Our only concern with the current EARL in the RSP720 and
SUP720 is that it has a number of feature limitations that
we've become accustomed to on the 7200 platform, but are
supported on the ESP on the ASR1000 platform.

Hopefully, the next EARL will resolve these issues, but who
knows what other limitations it may have, when they may be
resolved, or if support will come both to the 6500 and 7600,
or just one of these?

Suffice it to say, the ASR1000 provides some decent support
for non-Ethernet interfaces as well, without the need to
purchase extra SIP modules that you'd need in a 7600, should
you require such interfaces in there.

Just our view.

Cheers,

Mark.