[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 25 15:22:33 EST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 08:46:37PM +0100, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> The new EARL - EARL8 is already there - as the PFC for Nexus 7k. It will
> also be the part of next-gen Sup "2T" and DFCs for LCs in the 6500E.

Ah, so it will come to 6500, not to 7600.  Heh!

(I wonder what IOS train will support it, and what hardware and feature
support we're going to lose by using that IOS train...)

[..]
> As for something for the next-gen - 8200... competitors would like 6500
> to be dead soon, because after all those rants it still wins the deals,
> it is still a platform of choice for technical not marketing reasons,
> and it still, after so many years, excels in different dimensions
> It is roadmapped far into the future, and there's place for it.

I *really* like the 6500.  Really.

<rant>
The only think I massively dislike about it is the pain that Cisco
instills in the customers with their poor choice in decision-making.

 - 6500/7600 split.  They ("the 7600 camp") get the fast CPU, we get the
   reasonable 10G linecards (and got the 10G sup first).

 - confusing strategy regarding IOS future, especially modular IOS vs. NX-OS

 - confusing feature adoption between SX, SR and "main line" IOS

 - removal of BFD on SVI!!! *grumble* (this has bitten me *again* today)

 - as a customer, you really can't trust Cisco to make reasonable
   decisions (did I mention the BU split?  and IOS and hardware support
   pain?) - even Cisco's stock price sucks, so the usual argument "but
   it was good for the stock price!" doesn't hold either.
</rant>

Sorry for that.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/