[c-nsp] ASR1004 vs 7606(RSP720-CXL)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Nov 25 16:11:52 EST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

>>> - as a customer, you really can't trust Cisco to make reasonable
>>>   decisions (did I mention the BU split?  and IOS and hardware support
>>>   pain?) - even Cisco's stock price sucks, so the usual argument "but
>>>   it was good for the stock price!" doesn't hold either.
>>
>> Hm. Usually price issues are taken care of by account teams. I can't
>> speak about that part.
>
> "stock price" as in "wall street, pin-striped banking guys" :-)
>
> They tend to honour stupid decisions if they look good in the financial
> papers.

I actually believe this harms cisco greatly.  You should see my account team ready to pull their hair out some days because of the self-inflicted-pain internally and lack of coherent direction.  I honestly now see why they acquired linksys, it's about building cheap crap they don't intend to actually properly support and maintain.  It's sad because there are a lot of really bright people there who try to do the right thing and will never succeed.

Cisco is an enterprise play, not a SP play.  Think IBM before they divested numerous business lines (eg hdd mfg to hitachi, laptops to lenovo).  I'm waiting to see them realize they are doing more harm than good and follow that playbook.

	- Jared