[c-nsp] Will UDLD work with converters ?

Zoe O'Connell zoe-nsp at complicity.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 10:24:05 EDT 2009

Nick Hilliard wrote:
> You may want to look at third party optics from reputable
> manufacturers (e.g. http://www.finisar.com/optical_modules_2),
> although many organisations have policies in place which work against
> using third party components.  Also, it is very easy to pick up grey
> optics with cisco serial numbers on them, which means that the special
> command which we all know about isn't necessary.
>
> Also, bear in mind that not all c65k ports support reading DDM info
> from SFPs.  SUP720 cards will, as will later hardware revisions of the
> 6724sfp blades.  Earlier hardware revisions won't.  Also, 12.2SX >=
> SXF9 will not present DDM unless it sees a Cisco serial number.

It's worth noting that while the restriction on optics in general is
just annoying, the DOM restrictions do seem to be there for a reason: I
have a number of non-Cisco optics reporting DOM data that's obviously
incorrect, so I don't trust anything that's non-Cisco. Sadly, on
platforms where it will show you DOM from any SFP, there's no obvious
indication if it's a Cisco or third party optic.