[c-nsp] Will UDLD work with converters ?

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Oct 2 10:44:01 EDT 2009

On 02/10/2009 15:24, Zoe O'Connell wrote:
> It's worth noting that while the restriction on optics in general is
> just annoying, the DOM restrictions do seem to be there for a reason: I
> have a number of non-Cisco optics reporting DOM data that's obviously
> incorrect, so I don't trust anything that's non-Cisco. Sadly, on
> platforms where it will show you DOM from any SFP, there's no obvious
> indication if it's a Cisco or third party optic.

"show idprom interface gig x/y" should give you a pretty good idea of
what's plugged into the box (on a 65k).

Yes, there are very poor quality transceivers out there. Cisco appears to
re-sell Finisar and Opnext, which would suggest that these companies
produce good quality kit.

I'm personally not convinced that restricting equipment to use own-brand
transceivers does much more than create a lucrative grey market for
sophisticated knock-offs.  I've also heard the incorrect DOM readings line
being trotted out before, but I'm not convinced by it:  if you buy
cheap-ass equipment, you should expect high mileage variation.

Nick