[c-nsp] Will UDLD work with converters ?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Oct 2 12:47:11 EDT 2009

Nick Hilliard wrote:
> [100% agreed on rant.  ghods, it is so depressing to fork out for cisco
> optics and find that they don't work on other cisco gear].

Yeah, it's awful.  We're looking at ONSs right now and are faced with
the penalty (I think that's the appropriate word) of having to spare a
completely unique set of GigE optics just for the ONSs.  I can
understand to a degree Cisco only supporting Cisco optics but not even
all of Cisco supports all of Cisco's optics.  That's the worst part
about it.

> On 02/10/2009 15:27, Justin Shore wrote:
>> Back to your question though, yes UDLD should work fine over MCs.
>
> as someone else noted, only for optical transceivers.  TX does not
> support UDLD (which was what the original poster was wondering about).

I saw that as well and that's curious because I'm doing it today on TX
interfaces.  Been doing it for years and it works great.  It's even
served it's purpose on one occasion when a 80k single-strand optic in a
series of back to back MCs partially failed and was transmitting but not
receiving.  Locating the 1 bad optic was a PITA but at least it brought
the link down so my alternate routing paths picked up the load with
minimal loss.

7613-1.clr#sh int gi9/9 capabilities
GigabitEthernet9/9
   Model:                 WS-X6748-GE-TX
   Type:                  10/100/1000BaseT
   Speed:                 10,100,1000,auto
   Duplex:                half,full
   Trunk encap. type:     802.1Q,ISL
   Trunk mode:            on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
   Channel:               yes
   Broadcast suppression: percentage(0-100)
   Flowcontrol:           rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(off,on,desired)
   Membership:            static
   Fast Start:            yes
   QOS scheduling:        rx-(2q8t), tx-(1p3q8t)
   CoS rewrite:           yes
   ToS rewrite:           yes
   Inline power:          no
   SPAN:                  source/destination
   UDLD                   yes
   Link Debounce:         yes
   Link Debounce Time:    no
   Ports on ASIC:         1-12
   Port-Security:         yes

7613-1.clr#sh udld neighbors
Port     Device Name   Device ID     Port ID    Neighbor State
----     -----------   ---------     -------    --------------
Gi9/9    0169D2180B4     1            Gi1/1      Bidirectional
Gi9/9.40 0169D2180B4     1            Gi1/1      Bidirectional

6524-1.brd#sh int gi1/1 capabilities
GigabitEthernet1/1
   Model:                 ME-C6524GT-8S
   Type:                  10/100/1000BaseT
   Speed:                 10,100,1000,auto
   Duplex:                half,full
   Trunk encap. type:     802.1Q,ISL
   Trunk mode:            on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
   Channel:               yes
   Broadcast suppression: none
   Flowcontrol:           rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(off,on,desired)
   Membership:            static
   Fast Start:            yes
   QOS scheduling:        rx-(1q2t), tx-(1p3q8t)
   QOS queueing mode:     rx-(cos), tx-(cos)
   CoS rewrite:           yes
   ToS rewrite:           yes
   Inline power:          no
   Inline power policing: no
   SPAN:                  source/destination
   UDLD                   yes
   Link Debounce:         yes
   Link Debounce Time:    no
   Ports on ASIC:         1-12
   Remote switch uplink:  no
   Dot1x:                 yes
   Port-Security:         yes

6524-1.brd#sh udld neighbors
Port       Device Name   Device ID     Port ID    Neighbor State
Gi1/1      0187425650      1            Gi9/9      Bidirectional
Gi1/1.4010 0187425650      1            Gi9/9      Bidirectional

Perhaps TX UDLD is only available on certain platforms.

Justin