[c-nsp] Route reflection - need second set(s) of eyes please

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Oct 3 08:43:55 EDT 2009

On Saturday 03 October 2009 12:33:29 am Pete Templin wrote:

> The
> dists are neighbored with the cores, and the dists are
> route reflector clients of the cores (I guess from a
> configuration perspective, the cores see the dists as
> route reflector clients).

Not necessarily, unless you've configured the "Distribution"
routers as such.

> The dists are neighbored with
> the RASen, but the RASen are not currently considered
> route reflector clients.

Okay...

> To the best of my knowledge, since the dists aren't
> configured to treat the RASen as route reflector clients,
> they shouldn't be passing the RAS routes along to the
> core (who would then reflect them to the other city's
> core, who would then reflect them to that city's dists).
> However, it appears that the RAS routes are making it
> across the network.

Can you dump a copy of your BGP configuration from all these
routers?

> Should I be confused?  Should I be configuring the dists
> to treat the RASen as RRC, to avoid future surprises?

Ideally, centralizing the route reflector function would be
best, i.e., if you core routers are running that function,
then have your routers run iBGP with your core routers.

However, this may be moot if the ASCII diagram you sent
through is your actual topology, i.e., your RAS's have a
single link to your "Distribution" routers.

Cheers,

Mark.