[c-nsp] OT: Juniper JTAC software download assistance - blown away by good customer service

Ramcharan, Vijay A vijay.ramcharan at verizonbusiness.com
Sat Oct 3 10:58:04 EDT 2009

Like most other folks these days, I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to
expecting customer requests that fall outside of the normal spectrum of
issues to be handled in the manner you'd hope.

This is not a plug by any means for Juniper but I do want to give credit
where I believe it's due.

Having just come off the Cisco SP train, I decided that what better way
to build upon that than by learning about what is outside of Cisco-land.

I purchased a couple of low-end J series routers off Ebay. The software
release on them was quite old I belive, at 7.x.

While I probably could have used that release I decided to try opening
an account with Juniper to see how far I could get before having to fork
out a couple thousand for a new device with a current support contract.

After getting my account set up, I opened a case to request access to
software downloads; not with much hope of getting it added to my
account.

Much to my surprise I received an email about a day or so later IN
ADDITION to a phone call with the good news that software access had
been added to my account. I am really quite shocked and pleasantly
surprised at the same time that customer service this accommodating
still exists. The almighty dollar it seems doesn't always call the
shots. Wow.

Granted, software access without a support contract, may or may not be a
common occurrence. To have this sort of resolution in such a timely
manner and with only a single web portal support request, without me
having to pay for a current support contract, is in my opinion, truly
outstanding.

Thank you JTAC.

Vijay Ramcharan, CCIE #14824 (RS/SP), CCDP.
Net. Eng., Verizon Business - ITSGD.
C: 917-821-8009.