[c-nsp] Cost Effective Traffic Shaping

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Thu Oct 8 10:46:45 EDT 2009

Hello group,

I'm looking for a cost effective way to provide traffic shaping CIR and PIR rates for a group of customers in a small data center offering.  The infrastructure is very small, currently only two 3560G-48TS's, but adequate for their needs.  Tuning the shapers on the 3560's isn't really what I'm looking for as it will only scale to 4 and I won't have anything quantitative to show from it via Cacti or other polling methods.  I was originally leaning towards an ebay special 7204VXR with a NPE-G1 or a 3845 as the aggregate upstream bandwidth from the primary carrier is 200 mbps.  The router performance doc lists the 3845 at 256 mbps, but with shaping enabled, it doesn't seem that it will fit the bill.  The NPE-G1 can push 521 mbps, so that has me covered.  Neither one of these routers is necessarily budget conscience for the size of the engagement.  However, the ME 3400G-2CS seems to be a good fit.

Are there other viable products I'm overlooking and could anyone provide some feedback of using the ME3400 in this type of scenario?  Besides shaping, I'm only looking to terminate a default originate BGP session on the device as well.

Thanks guys!

-ryan