[c-nsp] Cisco 7609 Temperature monitoring Anomalies

twelcome at mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za twelcome at mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za
Thu Oct 8 06:36:13 EDT 2009

Hi List

 I'm currently monitoring temperature of inlets and outlets of a 7609 router via snmp and via ios commands, and I see that for some modules the inlet temperature is higher than the outlet temperature. Now, either the chassis is having a net cooling effect in some areas (not all), or the sensors are confused.
The readings taken from the ios command line confirm what we're reading via snmp, so I've ruled out mib issues.

Another question: what is the discrepancy (in general terms) between the chassis sensor readings at inlets, and the air temperature read using a handheld thermometer next to the inlet? Should they be close, I.e is the router reported temperature at the inlet a reasonable approximation of the ambient vault temperature?

Thanks,
Traiano