[c-nsp] Anomaly Detection Module/Anomaly Guard Module

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Oct 8 16:50:03 EDT 2009

Drew Weaver wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience working with the Cisco ADM AGM modules for the 6500s and how they compare with external appliance based solutions for DDoS mitigation.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on these?
>
> It seems like it would be nice to just drop these into a few systems but I'm just trying to avoid caveats that mitigate (pun intended) the usefulness of these products.

If you try to buy the LCs your account team should try to convince you
to go with the appliances instead.  My account team told me that they
LCs are being terminated at some point in the future and replaced with
the appliances so if you buy the LCs today you will most likely run into
software limitations down the road as appliances get all the good stuff
and the LCs get bug fixes only (at some point in their life at least).
I'd go with the appliances.

Justin