[c-nsp] DWDM optics on 6500s

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Mon Oct 19 15:51:24 EDT 2009

> Are you saying a 6513-E chassis exists?  I can't find any reference to it.

Apparently not yet. (I had never paid attention to availability, as any
places we might use it would depend on full fabric connectivity).

Quick search turned up (the rather depressing):

   http://www.cisco.com/web/AP/partners/assets/docs/Day1_03a_Catalyst_Update.pdf

...it would appear the intention is to release the chassis with the new
supervisor. (Obviously the timelines cited there are out of date, since
that also cites an EARL8-based 720 in '09 and VTOR, which I'm guessing
we'll never see on a 6k).

Several of the used vendors have matches for "WS-C6513-E", so it may well
be on the global price list.

> That would solve a few of the problems we currently have (density issue)

My understanding to date is that it won't do any good until the next-gen
sup is out (as presumably there would be no other reason to hold back on
an 11x2 fabric configuration).