[c-nsp] XFP, SFP+, ???

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Oct 20 12:20:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:14:26AM -0500, Jeff Bacon wrote:
> So, I am looking at doing DWDM for some mid-haul passive-splitter links
> around NYC metro - working with a carrier that's buying dark and
> offering to hand me lambdas off passive splitters.
>
> I'm going to need to punch enough power to go 20-40km + losses in the
> passive splitters.
>
> Do I need to look at SXI + SIP-400 + SPA to go XFP?
> Am I better off with a 6704 to get XENPAK even tho it's not the best
> board in the known universe?
> Or do I go with X2 tuned optics?
>
> Effectively, what's the cheapest practical option, assuming I need no
> more than 4 ports per 6500 and don't have > 1 slot available? (I have
> physical space constraints, I mostly work with 03E and 04E chassis)

SIP/SPA or ES cards are horrifically overpriced if all you want to do is
use XFP. You can find DWDM XENPAKs which work just fine, but they're
quite pricey if you get them new, and in limited quantity if you want to
find them used. If you only need a pair of DWDM optics you're probably
fine to find a used or third party XENPAK to meet your needs, and this
will be the cheapest option. If you actually have to buy these things in
any kind of quantity (i.e. hundreds+) you're probably going to want to
go XFP purely for availability and lead time. Your best (or atleast
cheapest, but I can't say anything bad about them other than they don't
do FEC like some similar higher priced/lower density converters) bet if
you need an external converter to run DWDM XFP line side and LR client
side is the MRV 2XFP repeater in a Fiber Driver chassis.

http://www.mrv.com/datasheets/FD/PDF300/MRV-FD-2XFP_HI.pdf