[c-nsp] Multicast trickery

Wyatt Mattias Gyllenvarg wyatt.eliasson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:23:04 EDT 2009

Hi All

I am in need of pointers regarding a multicast configuration that does
not fit the models found online or in the literature I have at hand.

The network is built on PIM-SM with 2 BSR-RP routers (core1 and core2).

At Core1 we receive a set of Multicast streams from IPTV-Provider 1
via PIM-SM and MSDP, this works fine.
The mroutes are announced to Core2 via MSDP, works fine.
At Core2 we receive a set of Multicasts that are flooded too us, this
is the problem source.

I can't distribute this in MSDP if I run PIM-SM.
If I run PIM-DM they call me in a hurry and tell me that my PIM
packets are disturbing the network.
 - So long I have not been able to filter out PIM packets with
outbound acls on the SVI.
I have used IP IGMP unidirectional...  but that broke MSDP between the cores.
Trying ip mroute gave me "invalid source address"

How should I proceed too accept the multicast streams and inject them into MDSP.

My hope is that I will get to a point where I can use MSDP between
cores and ANYCAST my RPs.

Best regards
Mattias Gyllenvarg
Omnitron