[c-nsp] Good way of finding unauthorized network elements/

Craig Allen Craig at smilernet.com
Fri Oct 30 14:47:55 EDT 2009

Have a look at switchmap: http://sourceforge.net/projects/switchmap/

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Scott Granados
Sent: 30 October 2009 18:09
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Good way of finding unauthorized network elements/

Hi all
I have a general question.  I have a network consisting of about 20
access
switches and 2 core switches.  We have 3 access points that we manage
but
think someone might have brought in a linksys or DLink consumer device
and
plugged in.  (users, can't live with em, can't shoot em)
Is there a tool or good method that could scan the arp table and look
for
Manufacturor ID bits so I could see roughly what's attached where?  Are
there better tools in general or better methods of finding rogue
elements
that people may attach?
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks