[c-nsp] ubr npe-g2 vs 7200 npe-g2

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Oct 30 19:08:36 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-30 23:07, Gert Doering wrote:

> I'm not sure if I find "have different labels" a compelling reason for
> not being interchangeable (or having different PPS specs).
>
> Boot helper is one of the most misunderstood parts of the 7200 series
> anyway... (*and* it can be changed).

They can be changed from/to uBR to "normal" router, by changing the
boot loader. It is sometimes problematic, as the existing bootloader
may hang/crash during bootup, but the ROMMON tftp should work without
problem.

I'd say that the quoted difference in performance is simply from the
fact, that the IOS for NPEs was standarized first, and tested on
first, "light" IOS releases. As the code grow and was backloaded with
uBR features, the real performance was retested and now the quoted
numbers are lower, and more realistic as to current (to publishing
of the docs) performance envelope. But as always, YMMV.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end. |                  Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end. |       http://lukasz.bromirski.net