[c-nsp] 802.1w vs EoMPLS failover time

Walter Keen walter.keen at RainierConnect.net
Thu Oct 29 19:09:45 EDT 2009

I've got a jitter-sensitive application (voice DS3 over some RAD
equipment) that we are testing, and I've got a rapid spanning tree ring
through the below network.  We have it down to during a spanning tree
switchover (tested by adjusting the rapid-pvst cost on the trunk
interface), and curious if people feel if EoMPLS with a mpls-TE tunnel
would provide faster convergence in case of a failure, given a fairly
vanilla OSPF as the IGP, and 2 explicit paths defined (A-D, then A-B-D),
as the endpoints of this application are at A and D.

I think I'm going to start testing this tomorrow or next week, but
curious if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.  HW is 7600/RSP720 at
A and B, 7600/SUP720 at D and C, all with 6724sfp cards for core-facing
interfaces, and 6148 card (10/100) for RAD-facing interfaces.

Network looks like

Or, A has a connection to D, A has a connection to B and C, B has a
connection to D, C has a connection to D.