[c-nsp] some WCCP questions

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Sep 1 02:52:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009, Dracul wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm planning to setup WCCP + Squid.

Hi!

> If the squid server should be offline or the squid process dies, will the
> users? port 80 requests automatically redirect to the ?live? internet
> connection??

Yes!

> Because in old "forced" redirection configurations, if the squid process
> dies or should the squid server be unreachable for some reason, user will
> see a browser error.

Indeed.

> >From what I understand with WCCP documentation,  if the squid dies or the
> server is unreachable, the network should automatically redirect the users
> to the gateway, without

That takes time - the WCCPv2 router will take a while to time out the
now-unreachable server. It would be possible to hack in some code to try
sending a last "gasping breath" packet to the WCCPv2 router to say the
cache is about to disappear, but it won't save existing connections.

> any disruption of any kind to their browsing experience. Are my assumptions
> correct? Thanks!

adrian