[c-nsp] slow down VTY speed

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 02:56:41 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way to slow down the speed of VTY (telnet) sessions on a Cisco router ?

We have the situation that when RANCID grabs a config from an older 7204 with NPE-300 it causes the CPU to hit 100% for a long 4-5 seconds, which is long enough for OSPF with 1 second hello-interval to time out and declare neighbours dead.

I've read the cisco doco on troubleshooting high CPU due to exec & vexec processes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2ae4.shtml

I know that the problem is the volume of data being transferred to the telnet session, all I want to do is throttle it a little bit. I wouldn't be concerned if it took twice as long for RANCID to grab the config from this device if it helped stop the timeouts.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony.