[c-nsp] slow down VTY speed

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 03:04:55 EDT 2009

Hi,

--- On Tue, 1/9/09, Pierfrancesco Caci <p.caci at seabone.net> wrote:

> We had a situation in the past where rancid would cause
> some 72xx and
> 75xx to crawl and sometime crash when accessing the disks..
> You
> may want to check if that's the case and comment out the
> offending
> command in @commandtable (around line 1700 of
> /usr/lib/rancid/bin/rancid)

Thanks for the pointer. I had a look and the @commandtable array contains the following three lines:

 {'more system:running-config'   => 'WriteTerm'},
 {'show running-config'          => 'WriteTerm'},
 {'write term'                   => 'WriteTerm'},

Which I assume are to make sure it can get the config from multiple different types and versions of Cisco devices. All of these commands work on a 7204 (which means it was getting the config three times I think), so I've commented out two of them so it's only executing a single "show run" command.

This seems to have helped quite a lot with the OSPF timeouts. I've cranked up RANCID to run every 10 minutes to flog the poor box to death and see if it will definitely not interfere with OSPF now. If it still does then I'll have to drop back to 2 second hello intervals which should definitely resolve all of the problems.

Thanks for the suggestion of changing the "scheduler allocate" parameters Gert. I went and read some documentation and tried changing it around a bit but it didn't appear to have any beneficial effects at all ?

One thing that I've just discovered that puzzles me is that the OSPF neighbour drops are only on ONE of the links that come into this 7204. It has neighbours on the interfaces Fa0/0.3, Atm1/0.2 & Atm1/0..3. It is only the neighbour on the Fa0/0.3 interface that is dropping, the two connected via ATM are not dropping at all. Is there any logical reason for this ? Is it because I'm using the 10/100 port on the I/O module ? Would it be any different if the ethernet interface was on a PA instead ?

Thanks,
Tony.