[c-nsp] do i *need* DFCs on the 6500?

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Thu Sep 3 10:00:56 EDT 2009

"congesting the crossbar fabric(sh fabric util) which is pretty
unlikely when you are talking a 24G linecard on a 40G fabric
connection"

Just a nitpick or two - the 6724 only has one channel of fabric, so
it's a 24G linecard with a 20G fabric connection, thus a slight
oversubscription.  If you're extremely rigorous about line-rate, leave
four of those ports unused.

But the DFC issue is more about Mpps than Mbps.  As Phil pointed out,
you could run them well under their line-rate, but with small packets,
and overwhelm the forwarding capacity of the PFC.

-Geoff